The Bai Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square, announces its return to downtown Los Angeles on November 16, 2017 through January 15, 2018. The beloved recreational landmark will kick-off its 20th anniversary season with a festive series of free community and special events, including its Ice Breaker: Opening Celebration & Birthday Party, DJ Spotlights, Learn to Curl, Silent Skate Party, and Polar Bear Skate: The LA Edition.
For 20 years, the Bai Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square has brought winter fun to sunny Los Angeles. At 7,200 square feet, it is the city’s largest outdoor rink, offering visitors professional-quality real ice for skating and entertainment. This year’s sponsors and media partners will include Bai, Eventbrite, Disney’s ALADDIN, LA Weekly, Metro, Metrolink, and Yelp. Additionally, a portion of all proceeds will benefit the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation & Parks.
In addition to providing hundreds of thousands of visitors and Los Angeles locals with a fun-filled outdoor ice-skating experience each year, the iconic venue also hosts several community events:
- Ice Breaker: Opening Ceremony & Birthday Party on Thursday, November 16 at 11 a.m. Each year, the Bai Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square celebrates the start of its season with a literal “ice breaking” ceremony, where a large ice sculpture is shattered. The epic celebration features all-day free ice skating, entertainment including balloon artists, face painters, a performance from Disney’s ALADDIN, as well as impressive skate performances by the California Gold Synchronized Skaters, special guests and more.
- DJ Spotlights on select Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Visitors can showcase their skating and dance skills as they swirl about the rink to a litany of popular songs selected by DJ HowLy. The 2017 series officially begins on November 16.
- Arabian Nights: Disney’s ALADDINtheme skate every Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Guests will imagine themselves on a magic carpet ride as this unique new event will feature special purple rink lighting and music from the ALADDINOriginal Broadway Cast Recording.
- Learn to Curl on December 17, January 14 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.Visitors are encouraged to channel their inner Winter Olympian at this beginners’ curling pop-up hosted by the Hollywood Curling Club. Advanced registration is required.
- Silent Skate Party. On Thursday, November 30 and Wednesday, December 13 at 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., visitors are invited to dress up in their most festive attire as they partake in a fun-filled holiday skate party. A silent disco on ice, Silent Skate Party transports guests from the bustling Pershing Square to a skate dance party like no other. Headphones will be provided to all skaters, who then have the ability to choose one of three stations to skate to.
- Polar Bear Skate:The LA Edition on Monday, January 1, 2018 from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.Experience Canada’s Polar Bear Plunge done the California way. Skaters are invited to ring in the New Year…in their chicest, wildest, and most inventive beach attire, of course. Spectators will judge as prizes are awarded based on theme, originality, and overall appearance.
“Whether you are a Los Angeles resident or simply visiting for the holiday season, the Bai Holiday Ice Rink Pershing Square is an absolute must when it comes to embracing winter in Los Angeles,” says Willy Bietak, president of Willy Bietak Productions. “This season especially, skaters and spectators can expect a ton of memorable events to share with their families and friends.”
General admission to the rink is $9 and skate rental is $4. Special group rates offered Monday through Thursday. Tickets can be bought at the ice rink ticket window or in advance online at www.holidayicerinkdowntownla.com.