If your child is a Junior BBQ Master, now’s your chance to show off his or her skills!
The 4th Annual Santa Anita Winner’s Circle BBQ Championship (SAWC) recently announced a new Winner’s Circle KidsQ contest for 2015. This special kids’ competition is held in conjunction with the State BBQ Championship on Saturday, March 21st, at 10:30 a.m. and will be a head-to-head BBQ grill-off in two age groups: 6-10 and 11-15. The SAWC also encourages special needs children to enter and will assure that appropriate arrangements are in place to accommodate their unique requirements before the event begins.
This is a sanctioned Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) event and the judging of KidsQ entries will be according to their standards based upon appearance, taste, and food tenderness. (For details on the judging and scoring system, visit the KCBS website.)
As part of the entry fee the BBQ pits/grills used by each contestant will become a souvenir, and contestant’s families should be prepared to take them home after the event! These are being provided thanks to The Virtual Weber Bullet.
Family members and friends are encouraged to attend and cheer from the sidelines. Santa Anita Park will offer activities to entertain young family members in attendance like bounce houses, face painting and pony rides.
Admission to the event is $5, and includes access to Santa Anita’s majestic grandstands. Children are FREE with paid adult. Tasting tickets are only $1.00 each (sold in packs of ten). To purchase tickets go to http://bit.ly/SAWC4-TIX.
Contestants are advised to bring the following:
- Secret Recipe ingredients (marinades, spices, seasonings, rubs, sauces, herbs, etc.)
- At least 2 work surfaces (one for raw, one for cooked) of the following items:
- cookie sheets, cutting boards, or aluminum pans
- Utensils (knives, forks, tongs, etc) for preparing and cooking meat
- paper towels
- cooler & ice
The following are optional:
- aluminum foil
- disposable kid sized gloves
- instant read (calibrated) meat thermometer
- sanitizing product (i.e. no rinse clorox anywhere)
- drinking water
- sun screen
Teams will be provided:
- Brand new (unused) fully assembled Weber Smokey Joe or equivalent grill courtesy of The Virtual Weber Bullet.
- Meat to be cooked
- Roughly 4’ x 2.5’ of table space
- Approximately a 5’ x 10’ working space
- Charcoal (which will be pre-lit by SAWC staff) and distributed upon contestant’s request
- Numbered 9″ x 9″ single compartment Styrofoam turn in container
For full details, rules, and entry forms for the SAWC KidsQ visit www.santaanitabbq.com/kidsq/.
Santa Anita Park
285 West Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA 91007