May is in full bloom and with it comes a day of flowers, Hallmarks cards, and fully booked brunch reservations. You guessed it, Mother’s Day! I don’t know about you, but the love and appreciation I have for my sweet gem of a mother grows more abundant with each passing year. Which is why I love filling Mother’s Day with plans and pampering created entirely for her! Here are five of Southern California’s exceptional ways to spoil mom.
- Spa Day: Might not be the most original idea, but giving the gift of relaxation and tranquility is always a good idea. Especially when it’s at one of these exquisite escapes:
- Ojai Valley Inn offers seasonal body treatments, facials and massages including everything from organic seaweed masks, a heated lavender-honey body wrap and a Warm Himalayan Salt Stone Massage. She’ll think she melted away and went to heaven.
- The Four Seasons Westlake Village is nestled above Malibu Canyon between LA and Santa Barbara and has plenty of room for pampering with 41,000 square feet, 28 spa treatment rooms, 30 face and body treatments and 12 types of massages. The question is not will she love it, the question is which one will she choose?
- La Costa at Omni Hotel & Resort has an exclusive Mother’s Day Retreat package, which includes: Passion Fruit & Agave Nectar Pedicure, a Shift Into Relaxation Class, Chocolates, Champagne & Rose, Spa Day Access. Even if she can’t attend on Mother’s Day, they offer special Mother’s Day gift cards, which can be used on seasonal treatments like the Anti-Aging Beauty Infusion Facial and a Blood Orange Exfoliation & Wrap. She’ll be oh so happy you signed her up, trust me!
- Wine Tours & Tasting. What’s one thing I have in common with my mother? Our love for a delicious glass of red wine enjoyed outside on a beautiful California day.
- Temecula Winery has more than 30 wineries and offers guided tours with transportation. They offer a limousine tour that takes you through breathtaking scenery and over the captivating hills of the Temecula Valley. Take her for the day or make it an overnight trip!
- Hidden Malibu Country Wine Tours, where the weather is sensational and the wine is divine. A tour here gives you access to the most exclusive private vineyards in the Santa Monica Mountains! They also give the option of providing dinner at the end of the day. What better way to take care of the woman who takes care of everyone?
- Plan the perfect picnic! How lovely when Mother’s Day meets Mother Nature. Spend the afternoon, under blue California skies, next to vibrant Spring flowers and with foods best enjoyed outside.
- At the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden you can pre-order picnic baskets filled with gourmet sandwiches and salads. Those who buy a picnic basket receive a map leading to the best views that include blossoming orange poppies and purple lupine. I guarantee Mom’s will happily take some time to stop and smell the flowers!
· Sherman Library & Gardens is a horticultural retreat located in Corona del Mar. The Gardens include a museum of living plants next to patios and conservatories that are linked together by brick walkways, beds blooming with seasonal flowers and bubbling tile fountains. Enjoy brunch, lunch or afternoon tea (outside of course) at Café Jardin, which delivers a full view of the central flower gardens. Aesthetic pleasure at its finest so don’t forget the camera!
· Los Angeles County Arboretum, set on a 127- acre historical site, it has views to last all day. Upon visiting you can expect to see peacocks roaming the sweeping lawns, cactus gardens, hothouses filled with orchids, ponds with sunbathing turtles, and Asian gardens.
- Hiking & Yoga. Yogi-moms rejoice! Bust out your favorite yoga pants and get ready for a yoga inspired day of fun. Can you think of anywhere else that has special yoga events specifically for Mother’s Day? I can’t and that is the beauty of living in Southern California!
- Mamaste: A Mother’s Day Yoga Event. Mommy & Me Yoga class on the lawn from Corepower Yoga & Lululemon will kick off the morning, followed by brunch (vegetarian’s and vegan’s options included) with a Kids Eat Free Menu. Don’t forget to grab your free goodie bags!
- Mothers Day Wine & Unwind at Turtle Rock Ridge Winery & Vineyard. Experience Yoga, Brunch, and Wine Tasting in beautiful backcountry San Diego. Brunch will be catered by Something Delicious (vegetarian and gluten free). I repeat, Yoga, Brunch & Wine… need I say more?
- Splurge on something she’s never done. Hot-air balloon? Helicopter ride? Boat cruise tour? Surprise day trip somewhere? So many options, but here are a few I think any mom would love!
· Hotair Balloon Coastal Champagne Evening Adventure from San Diego – Del Mar. Pop some bubbly and float above the beautiful Southern California coastline with its gorgeous sunset as your backdrop. On this 45 minute – 1-hour voyage you’ll be surrounded by multimillion dollar homes such as “Bill and Melinda Gates”, as well as the luxurious golf courses of Del Mar.
· Catalina Mothers Day Getaway. Catalina Island is about an hour away by high-speed ferry but a world apart from the stress of everyday life. Have some family fun and adventure, and then enjoy a special Mother’s Day Sunday Brunch at Avalon Grille. Sure… flowers are nice, Catalina is better.
- Helicopter Ride near Temecula Wine Country. Give her the gift of flight and fancy! Take off from French Valley Airport and embark on either a 30 or 60-minute ride. Experience an exhilarating flight guaranteed to delight!
- Palm Springs Day Trip. There are so many things to do and see in Palm Springs for a day the list is almost endless. Ride the Palm Springs Tramway, Go shopping along Palm Canyon Drive, reserve a table at a trendy restaurant, go hiking in a palm canyon, or visit the Living Desert Zoo. Palm Springs is a paradise.