Salt & Straw, the iconic, family-run ice cream purveyor known for its artisanal, chef-driven approach to an American classic, will start scooping flavors from its Thanksgiving Celebration series on Tuesday, November 1st. Churned locally in small batches and conceived of by Head Ice Cream Maker Tyler Malek, the five-course lineup pays homage to the festive meals prepared during this time of year, transforming classic dishes like sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes into whimsical ice cream treats. Flavors will be available at the Larchmont Village, Abbot Kinney, Studio City, and newly opened Arts District locations through November 23th.
In addition to enjoying ice cream by the scoop, visitors who purchase pints of any of the Thanksgiving Celebration flavors will support the creamery’s Buy a Pint, Give a Pint program running throughout the month benefitting the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. For every pint from the series purchased until November 23rd, Salt & Straw will donate a pint to the organization to give families in need a sweet treat on Thanksgiving.
Salt & Straw’s Thanksgiving Celebration flavor series and Buy a Pint, Give a Pint program will run from Tuesday, November 1st – Wednesday, November 23rd, 2016 (note: all scoop shops will be closed on Thanksgiving Day).
- Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Maple Pecans – There’s nothing quite like that first bite of sweet potato casserole. The sweet, cinnamon smell fills the air. It’s warm, smooth and comforting, rich yet light and velvety on your tongue. The experience of this beloved Thanksgiving side is perfectly represented in this flavor. It’s that one dish we can’t help but steal a bite of while we’re setting the table! Dig your spoon into rich, full-bodied sweet potato ice cream, balanced by an unbelievably light ribbon of mouth-watering maple syrup marshmallow fluff & homemade candied pecans. This is one of our favorite holiday classics, from the oven or from the freezer, and it gets better every year.
- Buttered Mashed Potatoes & Gravy – Mouth-watering mashed potatoes, and oh-my-goodness gravy in ice cream form! The moment you dig your spoon into the side of the perfect volcanic sculpture for the first time, an eruption of gravy pours from the opening, fills your spoon, and flows down the side of Mashed Potato Mountain. This whipped & frozen mashed potato ice cream is delightfully salty, buttery goodness, with a perfectly swirled ribbon of white chocolate gravy. One bite of this ice cream will transport you back to your first meal at the adult’s table!
- California Acorn & Chestnut Stuffing – Maybe your family’s recipe is handed down through generations, protected and prepared every year by the revered matriarch, or maybe yours comes from a box? Maybe it’s fruity, or savory. Maybe the giblets are your favorite part? Stuffing comes in many forms, and it’s always a favorite at our table. In this case, OUR recipe is made with homemade California acorn brown bread, and folded into a spiced chestnut ice cream. The star is truly those acorns, harvested in Northern California and blended into a flour, this stuff is potent and gives our stuffing bread a dark & nutty molasses flavor. We start with that homemade bread, cook it into a black pepper and fresh thyme laced bread pudding, and serve this by the scoop to pull you straight back to casserole-dish-filled-nostalgia.
- Salted Caramel Thanksgiving Turkey – Every true turkey lover knows the best part is the skin! Forget about the choice between light or dark meat, everyone just wants that piece wrapped in crispy-crunchy, salty-savory deliciousness. No meal is complete without it! Turkey is the main course, and the anchor of our Thanksgiving ice cream meal. Cooked to perfection, the meat is tender and juicy, and the skin is golden brown—trapping in all the delightful finger-licking flavor. Sweet and buttery turkey brittle is folded into a turkey fat caramel ice cream, creating an astoundingly authentic flavor you’ll want to wrap up and take home for leftovers.
- Spiced Goat Cheese & Pumpkin Pie – There’s no better way to finish off a delicious Thanksgiving meal. Delight your palate once more as you sit back and take in the moment: surrounded by friends and family, reveling in the lingering flavors of a delicious meal, sharing stories and creating memories over a silky-smooth slice of pumpkin pie. Indulge in warm spices, creamy, fresh goat cheese from Cypress Grove and streaks of fresh baked pumpkin pie filling. It’s almost as if we scooped out that yummy pumpkin custard straight from the pie shell and smattered it into a spicy, goaty, cheesecake ice cream. This flavor will definitely end your experience at our Thanksgiving table on a high note.
- Larchmont Village: 240 N. Larchmont Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90004, 323-466-0485
- Venice: 1357 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice, CA 90291, 310-310-8429
- Studio City: 12180 ½ Ventura Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 818-358-2890
- DTLA (Arts District): 829 E. 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90013, 213-988-7070
ABOUT SALT & STRAW:
Salt & Straw Ice Cream is a chef-driven ice cream kitchen with scoop shops in Portland and Los Angeles that partners with local artisans, producers and farmers to serve unusually creative and absolutely delicious ice cream. Each ice cream is handmade in small batches using only all natural cream from local farms in each city. Flavors showcase the best local, organic and sustainable ingredients from Oregon and Southern California farmers and artisans as well as imported flavors from small hand-picked farms from around the world. The company started in Portland, OR serving eight flavors from an ice cream cart in May of 2011 and now has three scoop shops in Portland and four in LA. Scoops of handmade, small batch ice creams, sundaes, milkshakes and floats as well as pints to go are available at each with an ice cream sommelier of sorts who will gladly take you through a tasting of all the flavors. Favorites, seasonal, design your own variety packs and pint club memberships are available for online purchase and can be shipped anywhere in the United States. Salt & Straw’s ice cream cart is available for catering parties and events. In April of 2016, Salt & Straw opened Wiz Bang Bar at Pine Street Market, a soft serve dessert bar featuring a 10-seat chef’s counter and fresh spins on the childhood swirl, sundaes, novelties, and more. Find more information at www.saltandstraw.com or call 971-271-8168. Follow us on Facebook at Salt and Straw Ice Cream, Twitter and Instagram: @SaltandStraw.
ABOUT LOS ANGELES REGIONAL FOOD BANK:
For 43 years, the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank has worked to mobilize resources in the community to alleviate hunger. With a vision that no one goes hungry in Los Angeles County, the Food Bank has distributed more than 1 billion pounds of food since its inception. It provides food to 320,000 people each month and in 2015 distributed 62 million pounds of food. The Food Bank collects food from hundreds of resources, which – with the help of 27,000 volunteers each year – it distributes through a network of more than 600 partner agencies at over 1,000 distribution and program sites. In addition, 97 percent of all contributions go directly to programs. Our efficiency and effectiveness led to a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and LA Business Journal named the Food Bank as the “Nonprofit Organization of the Year” among large local organizations in 2013. For more information or to get involved, visit: www.lafoodbank.org.
Latest posts by Monique Reidy (see all)
- HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS BRING THEIR 2017 WORLD TOUR TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - January 26, 2017
- SALT & STRAW KICKS OFF GIVING SEASON WITH HOLIDAY FLAVORS - December 2, 2016