The San Manuel Pow Wow has earned a reputation as the most competitive and prestigious Pow Wow in California, with participants competing for some of the highest prize monies offered in this Native American tradition.
It’s a competition like no other. Complete with competitors dressed in colorful regalia in a beautiful outside setting; moving and dancing to ancient drumlines and bird-singing in first-nation languages; and, above all, a spirit of intense competition, respect and friendship of over 700 participants.
This is San Manuel Pow Wow – the largest Pow Wow on the West Coast, and an event you can enjoy for free in October.
Just a few elements of the 21st Annual San Manuel Pow Wow:
- Runs October 7-9, 2016 in the beautiful hillside fields of Cal State San Bernardino
- Free to the public and family friendly
- A unique competition arena complete with a play-by-play announcer who explains each category and highlights the “super stars” of the competition
- Each day, attendees get to experience The Grand Entry, a vibrant procession that features the Regalia and Royalty of each participating tribe. Kind of the “parade of nations” in Native American tradition.
- The public is welcome to participate in an “All Dance” event held each day of the competition, helping visitors better understand this Native American tradition
- Alongside the competition, an exhibition with handmade Native American clothing and food (yummy fry bread tacos!)
For more info on the Pow Wow visit: calendar.powwows.com/events/san-manuel-pow-wow-8/