We at SoCalLifeMag love animals and when we hear a cool story about pets and their rescue, we want to pass it on!
Wings of Rescue is a 501 C-3 of volunteer pilots conducting on-going, life-saving sustainable airlifts that have saved more than 23,220 high-risk shelter pets (and counting)! Wings of Rescue is committed to saving the lives of shelter dogs and cats that are facing certain death by transporting them from over-crowded shelters to shelters that are under populated and in need of animals for adoption.
“Wings of Rescue offers not only salvation and safety for the thousands of Southern California pets we have transported but also provides hope to both the pets still left in our municipal shelters and to the shelter volunteers and workers at these facilities,” said Ric Browde, logistics coordinator and board member for Wings of Rescue.
With almost 3 million animals being euthanized annually in city and county shelters nationwide, Wings of Rescue is making a tangible difference with its unique alternative to the shelter system. To date, Wings of Rescue has saved 23,220 shelter pets!
Each flight costs thousands to execute and Wings of Rescue rely solely on donations to pay for the cost of each rescue flight. To donate, please visit wingsofrescue.org.
Wings of Rescues Founders Yehuda Netanel and Cindy Smith (holding Bruin, the 20,000th shelter pet flown to freedom by Wings of Rescue) along with logistics coordinator/board member Ric Browde. (Photo credit Jim Nista)
- Logistic coordinator/board member Ric Browde prepares a Wings of Rescue freedom flight for departure. (Photo credit Ashley Chengerian, ASPCA)
- Volunteers loading crates into a Wings of Rescue freedom flight during this year’s Holiday Airlift that flew more than 785 shelter pets to freedom over multiple days. (Photo credit Mary Beth Trama)
- Kittens ready to board a Wings of Rescue freedom flight to their new forever loving homes. (Photo courtesy of Wings of Rescue)
Latest posts by So Cal Life Mag Guest Post (see all)
- Terranea Resort’s 4th Annual Celebration of Food & Wine - September 18, 2017
- Grand Park’s 5th Anniversary Celebrates L.A.’s Many Cultures - September 18, 2017
- Southern California Through a Millennial Lens - September 18, 2017