May is National Barbecue Month! There’s no better way to celebrate the beginning of summer than heading outdoors for a cookout with family and friends. Grilling is one of America’s favorite pastimes during the summer months, with a recent survey showing that 75% of U.S. adults own a grill or smoker, and that they prefer cooking out over eating out to save money (71%).
To celebrate National Barbecue Month, here are some cookout-ready recipes courtesy of Sparkling Ice – a lightly carbonated, zero-calorie beverage featuring bold flavors, perfect for incorporating into summer cooking and cocktailing.
Coconut Pineapple Skewers
- 1 bottle Coconut Pineapple Sparkling Ice
- ½ cup olive oil + extra to brush pineapple
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste or other spicy chili sauce (like Siracha)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ – 1 ½ lbs. chicken tenders
- 1 fresh pineapple – peeled, cut into 1½” chunks
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Toasted coconut for garnish, optional
- Cilantro for garnish, optional
- 16 Wooden skewers for grilling
- In large shallow baking dish combine Coconut Pineapple Sparkling Ice, olive oil, harissa, salt and stir to combine. Reserve 1/3 cup marinade for basting
- Add chicken tenders, turning to coat. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours
- Meanwhile, soak 16 wooden skewers in water
- String marinated chicken on 8 wooden skewers
- String pineapple on remaining skewers and brush with olive oil
- Heat grill to medium high
- Grill chicken and pineapple on two separate parts of grill. Grill chicken for 4 – 6 minutes per side (depending on thickness and heat)
- Remove to platter and baste with reserved marinade
- Grill pineapple until slightly caramelized
- Serve with cooked rice
- Garnish with cilantro and toasted coconut if desired
Chillin’ Cherry Slider Sauce
- 1 bottle Cherry Limeade Sparkling Ice
- 2 cups cherries, pitted, fresh or frozen (10 oz.)
- 2 medium shallots – chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add Cherry Limeade Sparkling Ice to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid by less than half, about ¾ cup.
- Add cherries, shallots and spices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and slow boil for 20 minutes until fruit is tender and liquid reduces further. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Top your favorite grilled sliders – try ground lamb, pork or chicken!
For The Crumble:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For The Apples:
- ¾ cup Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
- 8 red apples (Gala or Fuji preferred)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
For the Crumble:
- Combine brown sugar and flour in a mixing bowl, and cut in the butter with your hands. Mixture should look coarse with some chunks the size of peas.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the crumble on.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until light brown.
- Place baking tray on a wire rack to cool.
For the Apples:
- Core and cube the apples and place in a large bowl of cold water to avoid browning.
- Whisk together the cornstarch with Sparkling Ice in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the apples, salt, and cinnamon. Sautee over a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour the Sparkling Ice and cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring continuously.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Break the cooled crumble up with your hands to desired size.
- Scoop the warm apples into 6 small ramekins or an 8 inch square serving dish.
- Top with crumble.
- Serve immediately.
Latest posts by So Cal Life Mag Guest Post (see all)
- Big Bear Snow Play has a 4 to 15 Foot Base with Eight Runs Open - February 16, 2018
- KNOTT’S BERRY FARM DEBUTS THE FIRST DIVE COASTER ON THE WEST COAST, HANGTIME - February 16, 2018
- Santa Barbara “Car Free” Offers & Discounts - February 16, 2018